Wednesday 10 March 2010

Mum's The Word

I've finally managed to get hold of a camera (Thank you Becky) and so this will be a fairly picture-heavy post, apologies in advance! I've been knitting away in bed these past few nights, and have nearly finished the mother's day scarf. The pattern is a super easy one that I made up as I went along, this yarn is REALLY springy because of the way it's woven (sort of plaited), so CO 25 sts then the first 5 rows are a k1,p1 rib. Then every even row (starting row 6) is K3, K2tog, (yo, K1)x2, K2tog, k7, k2tog, (yo, K1)x2, K2tog, k3. Every odd row is K3, P19, K3. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.


Yesterday I managed to write my dissertation word target for today as well, so I went shopping. This was partly for mother's day things and mother's birthday things, but a few other bits and bobs may have jumped in while I wasn't looking! The other part of my Mum's present is a pretty mother-of-pearl photo frame with a picture of me and my sister when we were little.


Knitting the scarf has been taking a backseat over my new found love of English patchwork. There's something very therapeutic about handstitch, and so far I've made these beauties:



I'm not sure what it'll be yet, probably a cushion cover. I don't think I'll have the patience to make anything large like a quilt, but I'm going to try to persuade my Mum to make me one as a housewarming gift! Speaking of which, for anybody who doesn't know my current situation, I live in Southampton and my partner lives in Cornwall. It has certainly been a long time coming for us to live together, and I can't wait for this summer, a new house means so many fantastic opportunities to make and buy new things, curtains, cushions, cakes for visitors, cakes for us, and many other things besides. All the luxuries currently hard to come by as a student! Although I think ours is the only student house with a permanent 'cake table'. (You bake something, put it in a tin, label it, put it on the table, and then it's a free for all. Genius.) My other shopping was almost entirely things for me, and today Primark came up trumps. They had some really pretty underwear and pyjamas:

I also bought a new square cake tin to make the cherry and almond sponge cake from Dolliedaydream's blog, and a massive cooling rack as I never have enough space. Maybe that's a sign that I should make and eat less cake? Well, I'm quite exhausted after all that uploading, so I'm going to go and make a cup of tea and continue with lecture notes. Have a lovely evening one and all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen, thank you so much for leaving a message on my post as it enabled me to find you! I hope your studies are going ok! I remember those days very well and wouldn't go back! ha ha! Your OH lives in Cornwall? Ahhh I hanker to live in Cornwall, but will have to make do with boring Hampshire for the time being! One day though! Hope you have a great rest of a week! warmest wishes Vanessa xxxx....p.s... those primark bags are great! ha ha! x

    ReplyDelete