Wednesday 13 July 2011

No more judgment

I've been busy tidying up the border in front of our house. Over the last couple of months, its all gone a bit crazy and hundreds of weeds have sprouted. The honeysuckle has grown so much that we can't get out of the back gate without being honeysuckled (that sounds quite rude!) in the face. The hydrangea that I rescued when we moved in last November is about the only thing that is doing well. So I pulled on my gloves, picked up my fork and off I went.
This is what it looked like before.....

And after.....

We live in a National Trust village, and so hundreds of thousands of visitors walk past this border every year. Several times a week I used to hear people saying how bad it looked! But now people just admire the flowers :) Although we have no formal obligation, I feel as though I owe it to them to make it look nice! There is a man in the village who sells plants, and I got the dahlia and whatever that blue daisy-like flower is, and another pink daisy that's in the back garden for £5. Hopefully they will spread to cover a bit more of the soil. The wallflower, honeysuckle, and hydrangea were all inherited from the lady who lived here before us. She was obviously a lover of flowers because in spring the whole garden was carpeted with daffodils, bluebells, snowdrops, and tulips.



1 comment:

  1. Lovely! It must be weird having people gawking at your border all the time. My front yard is an abomination - out of control buddleia and a dead hanging basket. I really ought to sort it out!!

    ReplyDelete